2 CHRONICLES 7:14 If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
LET US BE WATCHMEN ON THE WALL
LORD GOD Almighty, help us to watch You. To keep our eyes fixed upon You and to worship You for all that You are! Help us to see You for who You are and worship You in all of You are!
• PSALM 59:9 You are my strength, I watch for You; You, GOD, are my fortress.
• MICAH 7:7 But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me.
• HABAKKUK 2:1 I will stand at my watch and station myself on the ramparts; I will look to see what he will say to me, and what answer I am to give to this complaint.
BLESSED SAVIOR, LORD JESUS, help us to watch YOU work in the nations, our nation, and our local area, and thank You for ALL that You are doing around us. Help us to pay attention to what GOD is doing around us this week!
• HABAKKUK 5:5 Look at the nations and watch—and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told.
• MATTHEW 24:42 Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come.
• 1 PETER 4:7 The end of all things is near. Therefore, be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray.
WATCHING WITH GOD
ABBA, FATHER, GOD, help us to watch and pray WITH YOU and see the news and world events through Your eyes. Thank YOU for Your invitation to join You in watchful praying. Teach us to see matters through Your perspective and pray as Your Spirit gives direction!
• GENESIS 28:15 I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.
• EZEKIEL 22:30 I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one.
• PROVERBS 15:3 The eyes of the Lord are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and the good.
• PSALM 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
CURRENT WORLD EVENTS AND BREAKING NEWS
West African Nations Commit to Military Move Against Niger Junta
8/23/2023 — Niger (Mission Network News) The West African regional bloc ECOWAS also rejected a proposal by Niger’s military junta to delay national elections up to three years. West Africans, and especially Christians, are concerned about extremist groups taking advantage of the moment. Click here for more information: https://www.mnnonline.org/news/west-african-nations-commit-to-military-move-against-niger-junta/
Sudan War Goes Unnoticed as Fighting Spreads to New Cities
8/21/2023 – Sudan (Mission Network News) Fighting in Sudan spread to two new cities on Friday, prompting concern for thousands of people sheltering there. Witnesses described “the sound of heavy weapons,” sending a new wave of refugees flooding into neighboring Chad. More than a half-million people fled to El Fasher, a capital city in Darfur and one of the sites of new fighting when the war began in mid-April. Tensions related to a planned transition to civilian rule erupted into full-blown war on April 15, creating today’s chaos. Click here: https://www.mnnonline.org/news/sudan-war-goes-unnoticed-as-fighting-spreads-to-new-cities/
After Pakistani Mob Torched 32 Churches, Christians Fear More Attacks
8/18/2023 – Pakistan (Mission Network News) A mob in the Punjab province of Pakistan torched up to 32 churches and several homes in a Christian neighborhood. The attacks were sparked on Wednesday by a false blasphemy accusation leveled at some local believers. Radical Muslim leaders then stirred up hundreds of people to lash out at the Christian neighborhood in Faisalabad. However, World Mission’s Greg Kelley says it may not be over. Click here for more: https://www.mnnonline.org/news/after-pakistani-mob-torched-32-churches-christians-fear-more-attacks/
At Least ISIS-Affiliated ADF Gains Power in Central Africa
8/18/2023 – DRC (International Christian Concern) The Allied Democratic Forces (ADF)… is a violent extremist group that is gaining power in Central Africa…is notorious for targeting Christians in their violent campaigns to establish an Islamic caliphate in the region. A widening recruitment network and an increase in funding overseas contributed to ADF’s bloodiest year yet, according to a report by the Washington Post. Click here for more information: https://www.persecution.org/2023/08/18/adf-gains-power-in-central-africa/
Pakistan Christians are Targeted by Angry Mobs after Blasphemy Charge
8/17/2023 – Pakistan (International Christian Concern) Several Christian communities, including dozens of churches and homes, were attacked on Wednesday by angry mobs that rampaged through Faisalabad after accusing two teenagers of allegedly desecrating the Quran. Police arrested more than 100 Muslims for attacking the Christian neighborhoods, burning churches, homes, and vehicles. Click here for more information: https://www.persecution.org/2023/08/17/pakistan-christians-are-attacked-by-angry-mobs/
PRAYERS FOR THE CHURCH AND THE PERSECUTED BELIEVERS
• Pray for the communities in North Ethiopia experiencing continued murder, violence, and unrest
• Pray for frontline pastors, workers, and their families in countries hostile to Christianity
• Pray for the believers who are persecuted, imprisoned, and even killed for their faith
• Pray for our persecuted brothers and sisters who are under attack. That they would know the hope God gives (Ephesians 1:18) and that the Holy Spirit will strengthen them (Ephesians 3:16)
• It is the attitude of a heart sincerely seeking Him to which God responds with a blessing (Isaiah 58, Jeremiah 14:12, and 1 Corinthians 8:8)
Weekly prayer insights from the heart of Pastor Getaneh. It is time to pray, let us pray that your will be done. Have your way!