2 CHRONICLES 7:14 If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
LET US BE WATCHMEN ON THE WALL
LORD GOD Almighty, help us to watch You. To keep our eyes fixed upon You and to worship You for all that You are! Help us to see You for who You are and worship You in all of You are!
• PSALM 59:9 You are my strength, I watch for You; You, GOD, are my fortress.
• MICAH 7:7 But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me.
• HABAKKUK 2:1 I will stand at my watch and station myself on the ramparts; I will look to see what he will say to me, and what answer I am to give to this complaint.
BLESSED SAVIOR, LORD JESUS, help us to watch YOU work in the nations, our nation, and our local area, and thank You for ALL that You are doing around us. Help us to pay attention to what GOD is doing around us this week!
• HABAKKUK 5:5 Look at the nations and watch—and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told.
• MATTHEW 24:42 Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come.
• 1 PETER 4:7 The end of all things is near. Therefore, be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray.
WATCHING WITH GOD
ABBA, FATHER, GOD, help us to watch and pray WITH YOU and see the news and world events through Your eyes. Thank YOU for Your invitation to join You in watchful praying. Teach us to see matters through Your perspective and pray as Your Spirit gives direction!
• GENESIS 28:15 I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.
• EZEKIEL 22:30 I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one.
• PROVERBS 15:3 The eyes of the Lord are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and the good.
• PSALM 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
CURRENT WORLD EVENTS AND BREAKING NEWS
Libyan Christians Could Face Execution For Conversion From Islam
9/4/2023 – Libya (Mission Network News) In Libya, persecution is an inherent risk of becoming a Christian. According to Riadh Jaballah, friend of Voice of the Martyrs Canada, the Libyan Church is primarily an underground church. “The believers still don’t connect to each other because they’re afraid because the persecution,” he says. “They have this fear to connect and to share and to witness.” Click here for more: https://www.mnnonline.org/news/libyan-christians-could-face-execution-for-conversion-from-islam/
Christian Blood Flows Freely and Frequently in the DRC
8/31/2023 — Congo-Kinshasa (Mission Network News) Terror plagues a majority-Christian nation in central Africa, and it goes by a three-letter name: ADF. The Allied Defense Forces (ADF) claimed 55 deaths in the first two weeks of August, killing 19 people in a single attack. Based in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the jihadists frequently target Christians in the eastern region. Click here for more information: https://www.mnnonline.org/news/christian-blood-flows-freely-and-frequently-in-the-drc/
Nigerian Security Forces Rescue Captives
8/30/2023 – Nigeria (International Christian Concern) Nigerian security forces have rescued 25 captives, mostly women and children, held by Boko Haram in the northeastern part of the country. The military operation took place in Gwoza district, in the northeastern state of Borno. Gwoza is a known hotbed for jihadist violence, which has left thousands homeless and without livelihoods… Please pray for the families of those who have been kidnapped and killed by Boko Haram and for the safety of Nigerians living in extreme violence. Click here for more: https://www.persecution.org/2023/08/30/christians-rescued-from-boko-haram-in-nigeria/
Blockade Cuts off Food, Aid to Timbuktu
8/29/2023 – Mali (International Christian Concern) Islamic militants have maintained a blockade on the ancient city of Timbuktu in Mali for more than two weeks. The blockade, which was set up by a local militant group affiliated with al-Qaeda, has created food shortages in the city and significantly hindering locals’ access to humanitarian aid. Click here for more: https://www.persecution.org/2023/08/29/blockade-cuts-off-food-aid-to-timbuktu/
War, Hunger Threaten to Destroy Sudan
8/28/2023 – Sudan (Mission Network News) War and hunger threaten to destroy Sudan, the United Nations warns. Under-secretary-general Martin Griffiths calls on the international community to respond. “Sudan was deeply broken before the current intra-military war and has always been in the background of world news, even though it has been a hotspot of persecution – ethnic and religious – for decades,” says John*, a Gospel worker focused on Sudan. Click here for more information: https://www.mnnonline.org/news/war-hunger-threaten-to-destroy-sudan/
PRAYERS FOR THE CHURCH AND THE PERSECUTED BELIEVERS
• Pray for Getaneh and others who will travel to East Africa in the coming weeks
• Pray for the communities in North Ethiopia experiencing continued murder, violence, and unrest
• Pray for frontline pastors, workers, and their families in countries hostile to Christianity
• Pray for the believers who are persecuted, imprisoned, and even killed for their faith
• Pray for our persecuted brothers and sisters who are under attack. That they would know the hope God gives (Ephesians 1:18) and that the Holy Spirit will strengthen them (Ephesians 3:16)
• It is the attitude of a heart sincerely seeking Him to which God responds with a blessing (Isaiah 58, Jeremiah 14:12, and 1 Corinthians 8:8)
Weekly prayer insights from the heart of Pastor Getaneh. It is time to pray, let us pray that your will be done. Have your way!